The Royal Fountain of Lupin is a reservoir fountain. A first royal fountain was built around 1676 but the current fountain was completely rebuilt in 1763 by the engineer of the Royal Navy . Onesime Augias, stationed in Rochefort, in order to increase its flow. . The Lupin fountain is an important link in the drinking water supply system of the port of Rochefort because it was the first captured source that allowed the ships of the Naval Dockyard to refuel in fresh water. It is one of only three watering spots for the refueling of vessels preserved today (the other two are in Brest and Belle-Ile). At the beginning of the 20th century, the fountain was still in service.