Rochefort is at the heart of the destination. Only 20 minutes away from the beaches of Fouras-les-Bains and Port-des-Barques, and 30 minutes from Royan and La Rochelle, it is the perfect place to stay during your holiday.
The town was chosen in the 17th century by the king himself, Louis 14th, and ever since, the town has built itself around “the most exceptional Naval Dockyard” of the French coast.
Rochefort : naval dockyard and cradle of the frigate Hermione
Enter the naval dockyard, where your maritime adventure begins !
Symbolic place for maritime history, Rochefort saw the original building and rebuilding centuries later of the frigate Hermione on the same site, just next to the Corderie Royale. After its 4 months trip to the United States in 2015, the Hermione returned to Rochefort, cradle and home port of the frigate.
Enter the Arsenal des Mers, the factory of legends
The Arsenal des Mers brings together the prestigious sites of the Naval Dockyard :
- Head to the Hotel de Cheusses, one of the oldest buildings in Rochefort. Nowaday, it houses the National Marine Museum, where you will discover the story of the naval dockyard and understand the building of ships. Continue your maritime adventure at the first School of Naval Medicine in the world... Welcome to the realm of science of the 19th century!
- Then on to La Fabrique : This new site features exhibitions on the epic of the Hermione, the 1001 lives of the NOE, a visit to the NOE and the giant periscope.
- Next, La Corderie Royale : Royal rope making factory, the most famous site of the city.
- Come and climb the ropes of the Accro-mâts, an outdoor climbing park in the form of a ship !
- Finally, Oceana Lumina, an immersive and enchanted nocturnal sound and light course around the Corderie Royale,
Getaway in the city of Rochefort with Pierre Loti
Make way to the town center and start your trip in Rochefort, City of Art and History since 1987.
At the Hèbre Museum, embark on a world tour with the Lesson brothers and discover the South Pacific culture. Try out the 3D virtual tour of Pierre Loti's house, the famous writer and naval officer. His actual house is closed for restoration, but the Hebre Museum has a wide collection of his personal belongings on display.
Take a trip back to the Belle Epoque, at the time of the apothecary and the hatter shop at the Museum of the Shops of Old times (Musée des Commerces d'Autrefois) and its 20 reconstituted shops.
Musical trip : from the Young Girls of Rochefort to international Dj'S
What would Rochefort be without the "Demoiselles de Rochefort" - the musical with Catherine Deneuve and Gene Kelly, filmed here in 1966 by Jacques Demy. Walk around town and you might recognize some of the filming locations, like the Place Colbert and the Transporter Bridge that you can see in the opening scene of the film !
Speaking about the Transporter Bridge, you can use it to cross the Charente river. On the other side of the bank, you'll find the Maison du Transbordeur an interpretation center entirely dedicated to transporter bridges and river crossings around the world.
Continue your musical tripwith STEREOPARC, a 100% electro music festival ! During summertime, the garden of the Corderie Royale is transformed into a large stage during 2 days.Many international DJ's have featuref ofr the festival : David Guetta, DJ Snake, NERVO, Purple Disco Machine, Fakear, Azur and many other international DJs.
The market of Rochefort, awarded "Most beautiful market in Poitou-Charentes"
The market at the heart of the city is the unmissable meeting point for epicureans every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings.
A trip to the market is a real pleasure for your eyes and taste buds! Throughout the seasons, the stalls are full of fresh and beautiful local products: Charentais melons, marsh beans, Jonchée, fleur de sel and salicornia ... but also the riches of the ocean: wedge sole, mullet, oysters, clams, mussels … Will you try to concoct our local specialties such as the mouclade or chowder?