This bridge, inaugurated in 1842 on the plans of Louis Dor, is one of the oldest suspension bridge in Europe with its 620 m length. The apron, 204 m long and 5 m wide, is carried by 51 ogival archways and overlooks the Charente River at 23 m above the highest waters.
After several years of service, the bridge collapsed after a solidity test. It was not until March 10, 1885 that the bridge was reopened to traffic after being rebuilt by the engineer Ferdinand Arnodin.
The Suspension Bridge is only accessible on foot or by bicycle. Exceptional view of the marshes and the docks of the fluvial port of Tonnay-Charente.