Forming, at the time of the Arsenal, the hinterland of Rochefort, this territory supplied the Royal city with food and drinking water (aqueducts, water tower, etc.). A tradition of market gardening and animal husbandry has shaped these landscapes.
In 1829, the villages of Candé and Saint-Clément joined together under the name of Saint-Clément. Then in 1902, Saint-Clément took the name of Cabariot, a village then located in the centre of the commune. The village and its numerous hamlets are characterised by a hedged landscape, marked by the furrows of the Charente and Boutonne rivers.
4The church of Saint-Pierre de Lussant
Built in the 12th century in the Romanesque style, of which the chevet, the choir and the two bays of the nave remain. The square bell tower, pierced by eight long bays, was redesigned in the 14th century. The chapels were restored in the 15th century. In front of the building's portal, two funerary columns are placed. Epitaphs and coats of arms are those of Elisabeth de La Laurencie, de l'Effort, lady of La Font, who died on 31 March 1797, and of Jean François Honoré de La Sauzaye, squire, who died on 12 March 1811.
5The church of Saint-Clément in Cabariot
The façade of this building is decorated with three Romanesque portals. Modillions with grimacing heads line the perimeter of the chevet. Its illumination allows it to be seen from the Saint-Clément bridge over the Charente.