The Association Hermione-La Fayette prepares itself once again for a 4 months journey : a new challenge for the Commanding Officer of the ship, Yann Cariou. In partnermanship with the International Organisation of La Francophonie (O.I.F) and as part of the youth program "Libres Ensemble" (Free Together), the frigate of freedom wishes to share its values : courage, its skills and knowledge.
The frigate Hermione, a human experience first and foremost
This time around, the adventure is placed under the label of liberty, acceptance and Francophonie. For this trip, the O.I.F has chosen 100 young people from different countries and some of them have been training in Rochefort to test out life on board and activities during stopovers.
These young seamen, strength of the vessel, will put forward the 5 values brought by the Hermione :
- Transfer of knowledge
Impatient to finally sail away, they have been learning to live together, to respect one and another and to be supportive of each other.
250 other seamen will also participate in this expedition to the Mediterranean Sea and some of them where already aboard the ship for its trip to the United States of America in 2015.
Discover below the preparation process for these young sailors :
2018, the replica of the Hermione sets sail for the Mediterranean Sea
As part of the partnership with the O.I.F, the journey of the Hermione will be called "Libres ensemble de l'Atlantique à la Méditerranée" (Free together, from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean).
"Libres Ensemble" promotes and supports the free expression of young people and their creativity by affirming the values of solidarity, freedom and diversity in the face of the temptation of fear and withdrawal on ones self.
The frigate has planned to leave her home port of Rochefort January 30, 2018 for 12 stopovers for a navigation period of 4 months.
If you want to follow the frigate of freedom, schedule your 2018 agenda.
The stages of the course :
Departure from Rochefort on February 2, 2018, to reach La Rochelle and to prepare its equipment from February 4 to 20.
- Sail to Morocco, she will be in Tangier : March 10th to 13th 2018
- Barcelona in Spain: March 22 to 24, 2018
- Sète: March 27 to April 2, 2018; the frigate is the guest of honor of the 5th edition of Escale in Sète (maritime traditions festival)
- Toulon: April 5 to 9, 2018
- Marseille: April 12 to 16, 2018
- Port Vendres: April 20 to 22, 2018
The stages of the return journey :
- Bastia: from 27 to 29 April 2018
- Portimao - (Portugal): May 8 to 10, 2018
- Pasaia (Spain): May 18 to 21, 2018
- La Pallice in La Rochelle: May 24 to June 6, 2018 (docking, so no visit, the commercial port is closed)
- Bordeaux: June 11th to 13th (arrival on the evening of June 10th)
- Return to Rochefort: June 16, 2018 around 7pm
The 2018 trip
352 seamen of which 100 volunteers chosen by the O.I.F
1 budget : 2 million euros
Discover the replica of the Hermione in Rochefort, its home port
The Hermione remains all year in Rochefort in 2017 and you can visit it every day at the heart of the Naval Dockyard of Rochefort.
Book Saturday, June 16, 2018 to see the return of the frigate Hermione: the opportunity to applaud this beautiful French project of 34 flags ... (program to come).